Patient in ICU takes off oxygen mask to smoke, burns his face

  • December 23, 2023

An unsettling event happened in a private hospital in Gujarat, India, showing how dangerous it is to smoke, especially when your health is at risk.

According to the Anandabazar Patrika, a person with a lung infection was taken to the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU). The patient’s smoking addiction got the best of him, even though he was in serious condition and needed oxygen support. He did something dangerous when he took off his breathing mask and lit up while lying in the hospital bed. This was a bad idea because the cigarette caught fire when it came in touch with oxygen.

The hospital staff said that the patient was admitted because they had a lung infection and were having trouble breathing. They were also giving the patient air as prescribed by the doctors. The patient started a cigarette to smoke in private, but the oxygen supply system was close by, so it quickly caught fire. The patient got burns on part of their face, and hospital equipment was damaged. Luckily, the hospital staff and fire extinguishers moved quickly and put out the fire within minutes.

Source: Dhaka Tribune